Thursday 28 June 2007

Find broadband faster

Problem: How to help visitors to my broadband comparison website narrow down their choice to the best broadband deal for them?

If you live in an urban area you might have all the ADSL broadband deals available to you, plus several LLU provider deals, plus Virgin Media cable, plus Sky satellite. Unless you've heard particularly good or bad things about a broadband provider, or you are buying solely on price, or you can't get ADSL broadband at all, it can be really hard to know why broadband package A might be any better than broadband package B.

Broadband can be quite a long sell, and while I want to have enough helpful content to keep buyers on my broadband website until they have made an informed decision, ideally I should be speeding up the time it takes for them to choose and buy broadband.

So I have been looking at ways I can help my visitors find a broadband package more quickly.
  1. Search by bundle / just broadband - visitors could already select home or business broadband on their initial postcode or phone number search - now they can also select broadband-only or bundles on my broadband search box.
  2. Best Sellers - I've written a new page (suitably optimised!) called Broadband providers - best sellers which lists the top 5 broadband providers on www.ukbroadbandfinder.com
  3. I already had several pages of element-specific broadband packages, eg Cheap Broadband, Superfast Broadband, Special Offers, and Free Broadband.
In progress:
  1. There has always been a filter on my broadband package listings and results page so visitors can reorganise their results by price, download speed, broadband type, and provider (alphabetical listing). But I don't think it is obvious enough so I'm looking at making this stand out much more - and adding an Unlimited Downloads filter.
  2. Add a poll - a regular poll on visitors' views on different broadband providers would help other users, and help me highlight the best deals and providers.
  3. Best Buys for each category - to highlight particularly great deals
Check out the changes already on www.ukbroadbandfinder.com. I'll be coming back to this issue as my website develops and the broadband filtering speeds up.

By Sarah, UK Broadband Finder

No comments: